Hi South West Clubs,
This email has been sent to all affiliated club’s secretaries and Go-Ride Contacts – please forward to your club committees and members.
As you will by now have heard, all British Cycling sanctioned activities have now been cancelled until 30th April and guidance to clubs is that no organised activity (including rides, training, coaching, events) should take place during this period, in line with government advice on social gatherings on non-essential travel. However, staying active is really important at this time. Provided you follow the advice on social distancing and good hygiene, we recommend getting out on your bike when you can! Keep up to date here: www.britishcycling.org.uk/covid19guidance
Many of you will be used to being active and social through your cycling club, so social distancing and self-isolation may be new to you. To help protect your physical and mental health, here are some practical suggestions for you and your club members. If you are already feeling anxious, visit www.mind.org.uk/information-support/coronavirus-and-your-wellbeing/ for further guidance and support.
- Connect – there are plenty of online tools to keep connected with your members, such as Skype and Zoom. Why not set up a virtual meeting space or pick up the phone to those who will struggle to access online activity?
- Be Active – riding a bike is still a great way to stay active – HSBC UK Let’s Ride routes offer the opportunity to do this, while our HSBC UK Ready Set Ride programme offers tips to parents looking to build their children’s skills and confidence when it comes to cycling. If you’d prefer to stay indoors, join us on Zwift.
- Take Notice – be present in any activity you choose over the next few weeks – whether it’s eating meals, being active or even catching up on boxsets, make sure you give it your full attention.
- Learn – use this time to read, learn or try something new e.g. Rouleur magazine have opened up their back catalogue, or you can work your way through our brand New Strength and Conditioning Programme. UK Coaching have a number of interesting articles and online workshops for coach CPD.
- Give – see attached suggestions on how you can use your bike as a force for good!
We’re busy working on ways that we can continue to support you as a club over the next weeks/months, so we will be in touch with details. You can also keep up to date on the South West Facebook and Twitter sites for updates and suggestions in the meantime.
|JULIA KLINGER-MOORECOACHING & CLUBS OFFICER | SOUTH WEST|